Richard Geiss GmbH has its own laboratory. This is where the quality checks on the incoming materials, production control and product development (R&D) take place. The laboratory has a selection of analysis and measurement devices specialised according to solvent.
- Various gas chromatographs with different separation columns and detectors and mass spectrometer
- Karl Fischer Titration (KFT) to determine the water content
- Colour classification of solvents using the Hazen scale
- Determination of the flash point using the Pensky-Martens test
- Calorimetric determination of heating value
- Determination of the refractive index
- Quick photometric tests
- Determination of pH-value and density
Since 2010, Richard Geiss GmbH has had its own Pilot Plant – a testing system for the Research and Development department. The system is made up of a film evaporator and a rectification column and can be operated both atmospherically or in a vacuum. The Pilot Plant has all of the same components as the large production system, just with smaller dimensions. Distillation on the Pilot Plant is followed by “upscaling” to the production system, creating the bridge between the preliminary test in the laboratory and production.
- Thin film evaporator made of glass with a pneumatically controlled rotor
- Rectification column made of glass with packing (35 theoretical plates)
- Vacuum pump for operation in a vacuum (20 mbar – 1.10 bar)
- Two thermo oil circuits for pre-heating and for the distillation sump (20 – 250 °C)
- Cooling circuit with a coolant solution
- The system is monitored for safety using ex-sensors and flame sensors, and it fitted with an emergency shower and an eye bath. The ventilation system provides for 10 air changes per hour.